As you prepare your items, BE PICKY! Items will be strictly inspected at drop off, so make sure you examine each item as if you were a purchaser. Spending a little time getting your items ready will make a difference on your check at the end of the sale. You will be asked to correct any tagging errors prior to drop off. The following guidelines will assist you in your preparation.
- Hang garments with the hanger facing left - like a question mark. Attach all tags with a safety pin to the upper right front of the garment as you are facing it (left shoulder of the item). Our special tagging VIDEO and our Charleston Repeats' Facebook page will assist you in tag placement. Make sure your SAFETY PIN is pinned SECURELY! You MAY tape over the safety pin too as an aditional security measure if you wish.
- Replace any missing buttons, zip all zippers, sew loose hems, snap snaps, tie all bows and make sure that all garments are presented at their best.
- If you are questioning what items are considered Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer, consult our BLOG for good examples OR look under NOTES on our Charleston Repeats' Facebook page.
- Sizes are Premie/0-3m/3m/3-6m/6m/6-9m/9m/9-12m/12m/12-18m/18m/18-24m/24/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/10/12/14/16/18. Put Newborn sizes with 0-3m. If you have an item that is a size not listed, then choose the best size from our list for that item.
- Remove all stains and launder garments. An iron and a little starch can work wonders to make an item look like brand new. See our special Stain Removal Tips.
- All clothing items must be hung on plastic or wire hangers. Please use junior hangers on 0-18 month clothing. You may use adult wire hangers too if you cannot find junior sized hangers. Good places to find wire hangers: dollar store, Walmart, and from your local dry-cleaners.
- When attaching jeans/pants/or shorts to hangers, pin them to the top of the hanger instead of the bottom. This will prevent the items from slipping and sliding over the hanger. Customers are MUCH more inclined to purchase items they can quickly and easily see the tag and the item than if they have to "work" to see it.
- Group and rubber-band clothing items by size and gender for check-in.
- Sets tend to sell better. Pin sets securely together by hanging the shirt first on the hanger as outlined above. Turn around and pin the second item "back to back" - making sure to catch the hanger with the safety pin. When you do sets and create one tag for it, that would count as one item.
- If grouping multiple items, tape the hangers together using clear packing tape.
- If an item is not secure on the hanger, safety pin it to the hanger. This is easier to achieve on wire hangers. Items do not sell if they have fallen under the racks or if they lose their tag.
- Small accessories that go with an outfit, such as tights, belts, and hair bows, can be placed in a zip-loc bag and pinned to the back of the hanger. Make sure the tag description includes the accessory items and that your Consignor number has been placed in or taped to the accessory bag.
TOYS AND EQUIPMENT:
- Take time to clean! It's amazing what a toothbrush can do with small crevices. All fabric parts should be freshly washed and reattached. Wipe down all surfaces. Goo Gone and Magic Erasers work well on crayon marks and scuffs.
- Attach tag to toy with clear packing tape or place small toys in a zip-lock bag and attach the tag to the outside of the bag.
- Games and puzzles must have ALL pieces and boxes must be taped closed with clear packing tape.
- Books can be grouped together or sold separately. Place grouped books in a zip-lock bag and attach the tag to the outside of the bag with a strip of clear packing tape across the top of the tag; or secure books with rubber bands running both horizontally and vertically (+) and then tape the tag to the back of the books. Make sure tag description references the number of books included.
- Package all toys with the knowledge that MANY shoppers will be looking through your items. Use strong, quality bags and tape. Make sure all pieces for a toy are STRONGLY attached to the toy.
- If it needs a battery, make sure it is included.
- Place loose items, such as feeding utensils, army men, or bottles in a zip-lock bag and seal the bag shut with clear packing tape. Attach the tag to the outside of the bag with clear packing tape.
- Shoes are limited to 5 pair total/per consignor and must be in first class condition. We ask for your assistance in maintaining a reputation of selling high quality items. Tennis shoes only accepted if in mint condition.
- Wondering what shoes are seasonally appropriate? Read our BLOG.
- Infant and toddler shoes or shoes without laces that cannot be pinned at all may be be placed in zip-lock bags with tag attached to the outside of the bag. All other shoes should be pinned together. Attach tag securely to the outside of the bag with a strip of clear packing tape along the top of the tag.
- Tie shoes in pairs by shoelaces. Attach tag with a safety pin run through the shoelace eyes.
- Place in a clear, bedding bag, preferably the original packaging. If this in not available, we recommend the new XL and XXL sized Zip-lock bags. Attach tag using clear packing tape to the outside of bag. Tape the bag shut.
- IMPORTANT: Write your Consignor number on a small piece of masking tape and tape to the inside label of your clothing items or to a flat surface of every other item. For small items placed inside zip-lock bags, tape a piece of masking tape with consignor number to the inside of the bag. This is one additional way for Charleston Repeats to identify who an item belongs to in the event a tag is misplaced or lost or items are removed from bags.
- Secure and tag your items with GUSTO--LIKE YOU MEAN IT!! HUNDREDS of hands will be passing through your items. Use good quality zip-lock bags/tape/tags/safety pins/etc. to keep your items together.
- Use safety pins - one inch or larger. NO straight pins or tiny gold safety pins.
- NO tagging guns.
- Safety pins need to be secure on the item, so the tag does not fall off.
- For items packaged in zip-lock bags, seal the bag with tape to ensure that a contents of the bag are not removed or spilled out.
- DO NOT TAPE OVER THE BARCODE ON THE TAG - Even though the tape is clear, it interferes with the scanner. If you have chosen the Online Barcode Tagging, Charleston Repeats wants you to maintain the tracking capability. Simply tape the tag above the barcode.
- Make sure your barcodes are crisp and that you can see white in between the black lines.
- Use "normal" setting when printing your tags.
- Use ONLY card-stock paper as thin tags rip, fall off, and get lost!